I feel like this blog has been very Allison heavy as of late…that little girl showed up and stole my heart what can I say. However big brother is turning 4 tomorrow and he deserves a little love too!
This last year has been defined by adding little Allison to our family, but it was also a year of huge growth and development for this kid. When I think about how much he has changed over the past year my mind is blown away. 3 to 4 is definitely a big year and I feel like the ultimate transition from toddler to little kid. Here are some random things I don’t want to forget about this past year and my number one man.
- Jack can identify all the NFL football and MLB baseball teams….and will even remember who played who randomly. He has also learned a bunch of NASCAR drivers and is obsessed with the little NASCAR cars you can buy (not cheap!) and pretends to race them around. He even does pit stops. I don’t know where this kid gets it. We don’t even watch NASCAR (we tape races now so he can) so I’m always surprised when he talks about a driver I’ve never heard of and proceeds to tell me about their car.
- He can write his name. This is amazing to me considering last year at this time all he could do was scribble and had no clue how to properly hold a pencil/pen/marker. Now this kid is tracing letters and always asking how things are spelled so he can practice writing them…he loves writing his name and his daycare friends’ names.
- He is oddly interested in the weather. I don’t know where he gets that (maybe b/c both his parents are meteorologists?!)…but he loves watching the weather report and naming off the different temps and letting us know that on Sunday it will be sunny. When it storms he asks to see the “radio” on our phones….aka the radar. For some reason he thinks it is going to snow next Tuesday…clearly his forecasting skills aren’t nailed down yet.
- He uses the words poop/toot/fart way more than I’d like. When we say prayers and sing songs at night he likes to exchange words with toot and poop…so I mean at least he is creative right? He gets mad if I say “A-men” instead of “A-toot”. I assume God gets it.
- Speaking of said “bathroom” words…it took us MONTHS to get this kid to go #2 in the potty. #1 was relatively quick and painless. I should do an entire post dedicated to our potty training woes…but imagine all the possible things that can go wrong…and they did. When we thought we were getting there…he would flip the table and then hold things for almost a week. We had some VERY miserable weekends. When you are buying economy size Miralax….you know shit has (or in this case hasn’t…ha) hit the fan. Then…after a rough trip to North Dakota…he got it. I think I maybe cried a little. So it took about 9 months from start to finish. God please let sister get it faster…PLEASE!!!
- Sports are his jam and he loves to play catch with the football, and hit the baseball in the backyard. He prefers it when his Dad pitches…he told me the other day he shouldn’t play baseball with me because I’m not very good. Thanks kid.
I know there’s a million other things about this kid I want to bottle up and never forget…but then this would never end. He can push my buttons more than anyone and constantly tests my patience…but then out of nowhere he can be the sweetest kid.
He is a handful no doubt and I think for me this past year has been a lesson in patience. Trying to stay calm and not overreact to every little thing. It’s tough. This age has not been easy. So many more arguments and straight up defiance. I’m often left feeling like I failed and I have no idea what I’m doing in this whole parenting gig.
Then there are times when he is so sweet to his sister and will get her a toy to play with, or push her around in her cozy coup and my heart just melts. I know she adores him…but I’m never quite sure how he feels about her. I can see the beginnings of a strong relationship there…and I look forward to seeing how it blossoms as they continue to grow.
So Happy Birthday to my Jack-y Jack…my little stubborn readheaded ball of energy. You are loved more than you will ever know!